Printed from ChabadBerlin.de

Jewish Cemeteries in Berlin

Jewish Cemeteries in Berlin

 E-Mail
  • Cemetery of Adass Jisroel
    Wittlicher Str. 2, 13088 Berlin
    Phone: +49(0) 30 - 9251724 
    The small cemetery of the Orthodox community Adass Jisroel in Berlin Weißensee was founded in 1878 and re-established in 1985.  On it you can find the tomb of the community’s first rabbi, Rabbi Esriel Hildesheimer among others. 
  • Cemetery Große-Hamburger-Street 
    Große-Hamburger-Str. 26, 10115 Berlin 
    The cemetery in Große-Hamburger-Straße in Berlin-Mitte (city center) is the oldest Jewish cemetery of the capital; it was inaugurated in 1672 and shut down in 1827.  In 1943, the Nazis completely destroyed the cemetery. Today, one only finds a small park with one solitary tombstone which was renewed in 1988, at the spot where the grave of the Jewish philosopher during the time of Enlightenment, Moses Mendelssohn is presumed to have been. 
  • Cemetery on Heerstreet 
    Heerstr. 141, 14055 Berlin 
    Phone: +49(0) 30 - 3043234 
    After the division of Berlin, the West-Berlin community members had no longer any access to the Jewish cemetery in Weißensee, so the West-Berlin community founded a new Jewish cemetery in 1955 on the Heerstraße in Berlin-Charlottenburg.  The long-time leader of the Berlin Jewish Community and of Germany’s Central Jewish Council, Heinz Galinski was buried here, as well as Berlin’s chief cantor Estrongo Nachama, the actor Ernst Deutsch, and the well-know TV-Showmaster, Hans Rosenthal. 
  • Cemetery on Schönhauser Allee 
    Schönhauser Allee 23-25, 10435 Berlin 
    This cemetery was inaugurated in 1827 was used during the nineteenth century after the closure of the cemetery on Große-Hamburger-Straße.  Here you can find the graves of the composer Giacomo Meyerbeer, of the artist Max Lieberman, and of the banker and financial advisor of Chancellor Otto von Bismarck, Gerson von Bleichröder among others. 
  • Cemetery Weißensee 
    Herbert-Baum-Str. 45, 13088 Berlin 
    Phone: +49(0) 30 - 9253330 
    The cemetery in Weißensee was opened in 1880.  It is the largest Jewish cemetery in Europe.  On it are the graves of the publisher Rudolf Mosse and of Rabbi Leo Baeck as well as of Herman Cohen, the philosopher and founder of the Marburger School dedicated to the philosophy of New-Kantism.
 E-Mail

Dein Leben und ich -
In der Jüdischen Gemeinde (RBB)



small banner.jpg